It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:54 pm
Change font size
The Flat Earth Society: Community The crocuses are still in bloom...

Thomas Dolby

Thomas mind your F's & B's!

Discuss the man and his music.

Moderator: Lunesse

Thomas mind your F's & B's!

Postby Lens Grinder » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 am

Really glad that the new material is available and a tour too but whats with all the swearing Thomas?

I am talking about B******* on Toadlickers and F****** on Lifeboats of course. Is this a cheap way to get publicity via "Parent Advisory" album stickers? It may work for a 17 year old selecting the latest urban offering....but not me.

Come on Thomas, your song writing is not in dispute. Do you really have to lower the tone?
Lens Grinder
Neophyte

Re: Thomas mind your F's & B's!

Postby Sam Coupe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:45 pm

You're way to Fucking sensitive.

Only Jokin :)
We present the evidence...

you decide if you believe it or not.
Sam Coupe
Dolby Fan

Postby korky123 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 pm

I didn't know there was any cussin' on "Toadlickers." Let me take another listen. :lol:
I have an uncanny flair for the mediocre, coupled with an occasional burst of insignificance. ~rainwriter jones
korky123
Ultimate Dolbyphile

Postby Micistm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:45 am

Lol, as long as our Thomas doesn't suddenly decide to go all Marilyn Manson, I'm not fussed! :lol:
Micistm
Dolby Fan

Postby rcaddict » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 am

Amen. A favorite band of mine, Blackfield, has great songs but they consistantly go down the path with bad language. I listen to music with my 11 year old daughter. Avoid the bad language please!
rcaddict
Neophyte

Postby smogggy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:53 am

I have to agree. 'Lifeboats' for me is a superb song ruined by the unnecessary expletives.
Toadlickers is garbage anyway. :wink:

JMHO x
smogggy
Neophyte

Postby Micistm » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Nah...imo the odd cuss in context is fine, can create impact if used sparingly.

The rap type, swearing every second word for coolness and to appeal to giggling teens...that's when I can't be arsed with it.
Micistm
Dolby Fan

Postby rich_h » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Yup, I'm with Micistm on this one. For me, it is the paniced precursor to the "freak storm blowing in" section. The end of complacency, if you like.

As for bastards, it's not a particularly rude word. Sure it is usually used as an epithet but it does have legitimate meaning.

As for both "fucking" and "bastards", they're just words.
Listen at Soundcloud
Buy at Bandcamp
rich_h
Local Legend

Postby Tel-Bot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 am

Oh do stop being so f&%king over-sensitive. :lol: To quote another of my musical heroes, "Those words are part of the English language, MY language. Look them up in any dictionary and there they are. What gives anyone the right to tell me how to express myself using those words? In the end, that's all they are - just words..." Thank you Mr John Lydon.
Tel-Bot
Tel-Bot
Neophyte

Postby white city » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

Indeed. The judicious and carefully contemplated use of an expletive is perfectly justified IMHO. My sons have the Oceanea CD, they are 8 and 11, they know these words and know that they are not words that children should use under any circumstances. (at least within earshot of adults!)

They are words, they exist and they have meaning just like all other words. Pretending they don't exist doesn't have any effect. They surely hear them all the time in the schoolyard anyway. -any schoolyard, any town, anywhere.

There's nothing like creating a taboo to get kids interested in something. Mine don't bat an eyelid as neither do we. We had the conversation about it and that was that.

Jon
I was the Snowman in another life...
white city
Pirate Twin

Postby roundglasses » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:53 pm

:D the words said in the songs are nothing compared to some other artists so called music. at least the words are in line with the lyrics and not just added to shock, which is how a lot sound on other artists tracks.
what was that grin you grinned?!
roundglasses
Neophyte

Postby korky123 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Didn't we go over this before? Feels like deja vu or something...

One or two "curse" words over a lifetime of musical achievement shouldn't warrant such a negative reaction. Why do folks trip out so?

DAYUM!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have an uncanny flair for the mediocre, coupled with an occasional burst of insignificance. ~rainwriter jones
korky123
Ultimate Dolbyphile

Postby Stemish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:34 pm

korky123 wrote:One or two "curse" words over a lifetime of musical achievement shouldn't warrant such a negative reaction. Why do folks trip out so?

I think Billy Joel used a variant of fuck exactly once, on "The Nylon Curtain." I felt it had appropriate impact.

So whatever became of that "radio edit" of TTL with "frickin'" dubbed in? I never heard it anywhere, and it's not on the EP nor the deluxe CD.
Stemish
Alloy Alumni

Postby Micistm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:02 pm

white city wrote:Indeed. The judicious and carefully contemplated use of an expletive is perfectly justified IMHO. My sons have the Oceanea CD, they are 8 and 11, they know these words and know that they are not words that children should use under any circumstances. (at least within earshot of adults!)

They are words, they exist and they have meaning just like all other words. Pretending they don't exist doesn't have any effect. They surely hear them all the time in the schoolyard anyway. -any schoolyard, any town, anywhere.

There's nothing like creating a taboo to get kids interested in something. Mine don't bat an eyelid as neither do we. We had the conversation about it and that was that.

Jon

Wouldn't you LOVE to be a fly on the wall when the kids are talking to kids at school etc? When adult ears are not around? I bet it is a damn site more colourful than 'Lifeboats!' :lol:
Micistm
Dolby Fan

Postby BlueSilver » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Okay really? He drops two swear words (and I think bastard is questionable as a swear word) and all of a sudden people lose their shit. A polite Englishman saying the F word is really amusing.

I have to quote George Carlin here. "There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions. And words".
I wanna tell you something, anybody says anything about Iowa better be prepared to back it up, pal. I'll give you a fist-full of Iowa naivete right in the puss! -Radar, in M*A*S*H
BlueSilver
Groupie

Postby Hyper Child » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:23 am

And the "person above" means it as well!
Hyper Child
Neophyte

Postby Phil Phletcher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm

On "Lifeboats", I used Amadeus Pro to reverse the expletive in question. Now I can play the song when my parents are around. And the reversed section sounds really cool!
Phil Phletcher
Neophyte

Postby BlueSilver » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 pm

I still don't see what all the hubbub is about. It's just a word. I don't understand why people freak out about this stuff
I wanna tell you something, anybody says anything about Iowa better be prepared to back it up, pal. I'll give you a fist-full of Iowa naivete right in the puss! -Radar, in M*A*S*H
BlueSilver
Groupie

Postby Micistm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:13 pm

No, I don't understand the offence. I could understand offence at a song on a specific particular subject (various violent crimes, 'cop killers' gangsta rap), OR if a song had excessive F or C words all the way through...
This is absolutely nothing. If this offends, the Armish are calling you! :wink:
Micistm
Dolby Fan

Postby BlueSilver » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 pm

I guess it's just foreign to me that some people don't say the "f" word in front of their parents and actually care about that sort of thing.
Everyone in my family swears. I only get stern looks if I swear in public but honestly, I don't give a crap. I try not to swear around little kids and that's pretty much it.
BlueSilver
Groupie

Postby demona dragon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Heck, I've walked by a group of Elementry School kids and they were swearing like crazy; every other word was "F" this or that, way worse than I get when I accidently hurt myself
"Dreams of falling - dreams of flying.
a man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
demona dragon
Ultimate Dolbyphile

Postby BlueSilver » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 am

demona dragon wrote:Heck, I've walked by a group of Elementry School kids and they were swearing like crazy; every other word was "F" this or that, way worse than I get when I accidently hurt myself

When I was younger I remember how it felt so forbidden and badass to swear. It's funny to look back on now. I remember the first time I accidentally said "asshole" in front of my brother and I immediately said "OMG I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY IT DON'T TELL MOM".

And, I don't know. I use swear words because they're the words I want to use, not because I care about shock value or any of that garbage.
BlueSilver
Groupie

Postby Daak81 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Teach your child proper use of language and the words we have agreed are profane, will effect them less than a person who tries to sway them to believe in things that are a contrast to their instructed moral compass....

"your breakin my heart, you tore it apart so..."
Daak 1981
Daak81
Neophyte

Return to Thomas Dolby